Friday, November 14, 2008

Australian Music Month

As it is Australian Music month over on triple J, I thought I would do a quick list of my favorite Australian artists that i'm listening to as of now.

Mercy Arms

There is no one I have listened to in the Australian music scene that sounds quite like mercy arms. This either shows my musical ignorance or the fact that mercy arms are a unique little gem. Their music sounds atmospheric and haunting with a possible influence being “my bloody valentine” with their white noise sound . However this is not a defining characteristic of the album as it also filled with shimmering guitars which remind me of snowfightinthecitycenter and catchy choruses. This all combined with Thom's quiet vocals which compliment the overall sound give mercy arms a very distinctive sound in the Aus music scene. They have released their self title debut album this year independently through MGM and It’s one of my favourite debuts of the year. I’m not going to post any songs cos they are independent so go BUY the album. Or hit them up on myspaz.

Mercy Arms are playing in Perf on dec 13th at the bakery so go see them if you feel that way inclined alternatley you can catch them at the big day out. Thanks to Mr Brenden Brown for getting me into these guys!


Bag Raiders

According to their interview on Inthemix “Our sound is adventure… We make adventure music. Sometimes modern, sometimes historical… Often Exciting. This pretty much sums them up perfectly. The Bag raiders music makes me feel happy. Pretty much like the time when I was 8 and my dad brought me back a red power ranger action figure from Japan. I was happier than every single person in the world that day. Their Turbo Love EP is fucking banging and shooting stars is one of the most uplifting songs i've heard all year. I already posted the instrumental version earlier but Rhys from the duo Ted & Francis has lent his vocals to the EP version and boy does it sound nice. Go grab it from OhhCrapp in all its 320kbs glory! You can buy the Turbo Love EP over at beatport.

Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Is modular’s new poster child and is from across the Tasman in lord of the rings country. Her self title debut album has been hyped to no end and luckily (well in my opinion) it’s pretty damn good. It’s been stated all over the interwebs that her songs draw on 80s pop but I can’t seem to hear these links in her songs as a) I don’t listen to 80s pop and b) Iwas only alive for 3 years that decade. Pretty much every song on the album could be a single as their all v good and the album is definitely up their with the mystery jets as the best pop album I’ve heard all year! Ladyhawke plays modulars 10 year party never ever land with the rest of the modular crew this December so if your keen there’s a chance to go check her out! You can grab my favourite song off the album "magic" over at ever awesome hyperbole.

More Aussie goods to check out:

- The Holidays

- The Temper Trap

- Miami Horror


No comments: